January 16, 2004

Sea-Smoke, noun, referring to the 8 feet of steam above the ocean in cold weather

I learned that today because Mary's brother is a lobster fisherman and he said the smoke can get up to 20 feet high and you can't see the boat next to you. and he's fishing today. apparently the pier is iced in so unless Islesford is a hell of a lot warmer I don't know how he got out today. I've decided that I have to stop blogging about the cold because 1. it is not the Maine way to complain about the weather and B. because it makes me feel even colder to enumerate the coldy coldness. so unless I actually get frostbite (which annie did last night driving three minutes home from school) I will not mention the cold anymore.
so exciting things to chat about...hmmm. apparently everyone in town is going to reel pizza tonight. the station agent is playing at 5:30 and 8. any takers? Sarah do you remember the south shore plaza drive in? just wondering
So yesterday I went to the optometrist and I got the blinker award. I just can't not blink. you know the glaucoma test where they blow the air at your eye. that's usually my worst event at the eye doctor and i was so thrilled when it seemed I didn't have to do it this time...but then...he tried to touch this blue light thing to my eye. this is a better test for glaucoma that is not new but rarely used. I was not cooperative despite my best efforts not to move those reflexes are strong. so the doctor said he had to dilate my eyes so he could get a real good look. although over all I liked this doctor he made it seem like it was a punishment instead of an alternative. the way I see it my eyes should be praised for their protectiveness. it's evolution, right? we're not supposed to let stuff get in our eyes. but moving on the point is my eyes were all dilated and I couldn't see so great, but sarah can't drive, so I drove us around anyway. and we went to the grocery store where we were almost asphyxiated in the parking lot. I was just telling sarah that everyone leaves their car running, usually at anytime of year but particularly just now, and low and behold there was an example. the bad thing is you can't breath but who cares about breathing if your car runs? since i'm getting close to talking about the bad four letter word i think i'll go to patagonia and get some warm things. brrr....

No comments: