February 04, 2004

why i am thankful i have a small car:

i am lucky to have a geo. a baby car, that very rarely has weather related problems, and has great gas mileage. this morning, much to the dishonor of car i was a bad driver. i was driving, up the impossibly iced luge that is my driveway without a care in the world and as i neared the top, i stopped. a car was coming down the road and i just stopped! what the hell is wrong with me. i am a new englander and i lapsed, i had a maryland moment. you know what happens when you stop driving up a luge in a geo. nothing. absolutely nothing. i had to get out and push. there was no choice. and here begins the real saga. when getting out i realized i was wearing dressy shoes, on a luge. so i had to slide down the luge to my house to get to my sneakers and emergency cat litter. i made it to the apartment where i told mrs. whatsit my woes. if i didn't know her capacity for sympathy and compassion i would say she sniggered at my misfortune, it must have a been a sob. after consoling her i set off to climb back up to mr. car in the sneakers spreading the cat litter in front of me. it would almost have been triumphant if i didn't still have a whole car to push into the road. there are multiple, unforseen problems pushing the car. one, the car was in park. it would have been easier in say neutral, but then it would have soared down the hill into a. my landlord's house, b. a big tree, or c. the apartment. so i left it in park. problem two would be that i live on a major road, why i had stopped in the first place, and i would have to push my parked car on a sheet of solid ice into a highway, by myself. to go on with specifics would be highly embarrassing but as you see it all worked out. i wasn't even that late for work. i ended up alternately pushing and driving the car, spreading cat litter, and i didn't even fall down, not once. the car did sort of end up in the middle of the road with oncoming traffic, but there was no way that car was going back. but in maine people just drive around you and stare. they didn't even slow. so that was my morning adventure. thank heaven for geos.

No comments: