February 07, 2005

my parents and my mom's oncologist are having a meeting tonight to decide whether or not to keep fighting the cancer. her body can't take the chemo anymore and it's not reducing the cancer anyway. i expect they'll decide to stop fighting and try to let her regain some of her strength for the months she has left.
i know this not because my parents told me, but because emily called the doctor herself. the prognosis was 6-8 months from october. she's in the hospital now, due to dehydration, and i'm sure if my sister hadn't told me i'd have never heard about that either. christine can't be reached, doesn't want to be reached. i'm toying with the idea of tracking down her ex-patriot ass, she could at least call.
i always thought it would be better to have warning about a death, with a sudden death you don't get to say goodbye. what i never considered is this, how do say goodbye to your mom?

No comments: