February 23, 2005

today i'm writing thank you notes to the six gazillion people who send my mother get well cards and flowers. really, it's insane. she'll probably have her own postal code by next week and the phone rings off the hook. unfortunately some of the cards have been thrown away because my family would drown in hallmark if they didn't do something about them. nonetheless i have a hefty pile. i entreat you all to please put a return address on all of the mail you send because it is extremely difficult to match denise with a smiley face to any particular denise in mom's address book (which i stole because i'm sneaky...and lazy) and i know you want to save your correspondents' lazy ass daughters that trouble in future.
some of the letters and cards are very sad, and some are frankly a little disturbing. my mom knows a lot of weird people. one guy in particular who was in my parents yoga class feels that he has been "led" to their "crisis" and begs to be of assistance(err). some are from childhood friends. one in particular was about the night my mom and dad met...at the peppermint lounge! how risque!
if there is any nice part about this it's seeing the family pull together and sharing memories. my dad was telling me that he was only allowed in the room for my birth and not the other kids. lawrence general wouldn't let anyone in, but nashua memorial did. yay me? i heard the tale of my aunt's ill planned pregnancy and marriage to a man who was not the father but loved her anyway. my mom and her twin remembered being home alone from school while meme was at the races(meme, at the horse races?). my mom calls this child abuse, my aunt calls it faith in children's independance. hard call.

No comments: