April 11, 2005

i didn't forget my cell phone at the bank on friday. i thought i did. i told everyone i did. my mom, my dad, my sister, amymas. but no. I AM A LIAR. because actually i just lost it in my car. my two seat tiny ass car. arghhhh. arrrggghhh again because i feel particularly stupid and upset because i missed amymas' phone call and because i couldn't call for a late thai dinner last night because i had neither phone nor number handy. it's a harsh world.
so uhm, lots of fun this weekend. meme lives in a bachelor pad, my nephew is spoiled, mom shocked the catholic relations and grace slept through the present section of her party. i fell asleep during the godfather (to no one's surprise) the new couch is very comfy and so much better than the floor at my parents house.
one day last week on the way to school, reid asked emily what a bachelor pad is. emily, having no idea where he could have heard that phrase, said "well, it's when a man lives on his own and he can be really messy and play loud music and stuff" and then reid said "so meme lives in a bachelor pad?" yes babe, meme is the bachelorette!
the other reid news is that his teacher (incidentally my sister's co-worker) thinks reid is spoiled. not in the gimme gimme gimme way. in the way that he is from an upper middle class family with plenty of time and money to care for his every need. as compared to 98% of his classmates who come from mostly poorer immigrant homes in urban lowell massachusetts. his best friend* is the only male child of an iranian family which makes them equals in the spoiled by care department. next year reid will be going to the upper middle class first grade the rest of his neighborhood goes to, for the purpose of making friends in the community. it's sad that he'll miss the diversity but it won't be any good to be that priviledged white kid either.
a whole lot of family came down for the birthday, my mom's side and my dad's side, which was awesome. my mom came down and rolled around in her wheelchair for about 5 hours(first time since february 2). actually, meme was wheeling her around and it was more than a little scary. my dad's sister in law, who was forced to convert from greek orthodox to marry into my catholic family, told my mom they were all praying for her. to which my mom said "why". it's hard to know if she was being morbid or anti-catholic, but it was not what my aunt expected and was rather entertaining.
lastly, the party was great. my sister did not freak out any more than necessary. reid spent the day in the yard with a styrofoam airplane and my cousin from the coast guard(hard to know who enjoyed the plane more). grace did not cry, even though it was her party and she could have, if she had wanted to. and my dad spent the greater part of the day asking her if she was "ready to rock?" while wearing his world's best grampy t-shirt. and then sunday he gave me girl scout cookies. he should be canonized.

*the child who is deathly allergic to bees and with whom reid was playing with their new friend "waspy" to the aneurism inducing fright of the teacher who promptly stepped on it.

(dick, as grace was asleep when the presents were opened the piggy card was not at all chewed, fyi)

No comments: