April 26, 2005

i'm still sort of working on going through my closet. it's a long process. but one i need to finish soon. the sooner i get the goodwill bag out of my house the less likely i'll go through it and say "maybe i could use it for a rag?" or "well, actually, it would be good for layering, like to go sledding". one, i sled not at all this winter and B why do i need rags? dusting all that nice furniture i don't have. waxing the oxidized paint on my car*. GIVE IT AWAY, GIVE IT ALL AWAY. the hardest part is telling yourself that this thing you really liked to wear, in say your senior year of highschool, is NEVER going to fit again**. even if it were still in style.
mary and sara and i were all discussing the trials and tribulations of truly purging your wardrobe. mary has pants she hasn't worn in 30 years, but still she hopes. i think when i go home i need to make myself a sign. something like "YOU WILL NOT LOSE 20 POUNDS!" and then maybe i'll really be able to make some space in the closet for things that do fit. give the fat girl clothes their due. and really, if i do lose 20 pounds...i'm going shopping. no question.
i keep reminding myself that if i have to move again there is going to be a major purge. yard sale, everything goes. well, not everything...because i'm weak, but lots of things. like the futon, that's going to the first coa student with a truck and a chiropractor, free of charge. and the carpet that refuses to succumb to my shark (roar!!!). the lamp with the tentacles, gone. i'm not going to stress over moving all that replaceable crappy stuff. and i can't deal with the single tear that will move down my father's cheek when i fill his basement with my crap again.***
so i have to look on the great clothing purge as a means to a less painful move and a more efficient way of living. very martha. god help me.


*fake boyfriend said we could repaint my car. he has both the skills and equipment to paint a car. in his garage. next the the excavator and the back hoe. no, REALLY.
**holly, remember those velvety pants. i loved those pants. size 10. can you believe my ass was ever that small?
***poor daddy.

No comments: