May 10, 2005

my mom's disease is progressing and starting to cause more than physical symptoms. or, since i can't think of a better way to put it, she's having hallucinations. the only treatment is sedation, which my dad has been taught how to do, but they only do that if the dreams agitate her. as long as she's having happy good dreams, we just go with the flow. everyone is having their own experiences with it. apparently my father neglected to discuss the possibilities with my brother. the poor dear awoke in the middle of the night to get a drink or whatever, and he heard my mom talking. he went in and asked "mom, are you alright? what do you need?" and she said "we're having a private conversation, you need to leave". to which my brother freaked the hell out and woke up my dad (who thinks this is the funniest story ever and given his life at present whatever floats his boat is fine with me) and my sister. i can see why he was freaked out. my mom asked my dad to bring drinks for the two girls visiting her, which he couldn't see and thus refused to serve.
while i was there she kept asking where her bag of ice was, for her bath, and decided it had melted and then she fell asleep. she also defended my right to bacon and demanded that christine share her bacon with me because i kept asking for it.* my cousins were at a loss at what to say, with good reason. but bless them they keep coming to visit her and bringing her cake. sweethearts, all of them.

*it should be obvious that i never asked for bacon and that my sister didn't give in to the demands that she share while repeating "mom, amy doesn't eat bacon", "no, she doesn't" "mom, she doesn't want the bacon".

No comments: